- Assisting graduate students with research projects requiring bioinformatics analyses of genomic/transcriptomic/proteomic data using cloud-based platforms (e.g. Colaboratory, Galaxy) and common R/Python-based software tools, including methodology description for manuscripts.
- Assisting graduate students with completion of assignments, provides small group training workshops and/or one-on-one consultation to graduate students for R/Python-based bioinformatics tools, consults on experimental design, execution and analysis of bioinformatics research projects and works with USU staff/faculty for the transfer and management of sequencing data (e.g. WES/WGS, RNA-Seq, etc.) generated in support of student-led thesis projects.
- Provides small group training workshops and/or one-on-one consultation to graduate students for R/Python-based bioinformatics tools.
- Maintains availability to graduate students and their advisors to consult on experimental design, execution and analysis of bioinformatics research projects.
- Works with staff in The American Genome Center (TAGC) and the Office of the Chief Information Officer (CIO) for transfer and management of sequencing data (e.g. WES/WGS, RNA-Seq, etc.) generated in support of student-led thesis projects.
- Provides regular reports to the Graduate Education Office and OCIO regarding progress on student research and education efforts in bioinformatics.
- Contributes to nascent research and educational efforts associated with the Precision Medicine Initiative for Military Medical Education and Research (PRIMER), a collaborative intramural funding initiative involving USU, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, and the NIH in support of Department of Defense medical requirements and scholarship.
- Partner with other stakeholders at USU (e.g. Graduate School Of Nursing) in development and support of new curriculum initiatives in bioinformatics.
- Assists with training other bioinformatics staff at USU as needed.
- Develop and maintain bioinformatics pipelines for genome assembly and data analysis.
- Exercise independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria and presenting results for research and data analyses.
- Maintains cleanliness of office and performs routine maintenance tasks for computer workstation and resource library for students.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Experience required to provide competent support includes a Bachelor’s degree Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Data Science, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Biology or a related field
- Subject knowledge and experience in relevant bioinformatics analysis platforms (Colaboratory, Galaxy, Google Cloud) and software analysis tools (e.g. FastQC, Tophat2, Samtools, HTSeq, Rstudio, DESeq2, pheatmap, Kallisto, Sleuth, IGV, Bedtools, etc.).
- Demonstrable coding experience in R/Python.
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing (e.g., Illumina, Pacific Biosciences, Oxford Nanopore Technologies) and associated data types.
- Strong analytical skills with experience in applying and/or developing methods for analyzing various types of –omics data (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, or metabolomics) from different platforms (next-generation sequencing, microarrays, or mass spectrometry).
- Fluency in multiple programming languages, including Python and R, required for small- and large-scale tool development.
- Experience developing custom scripts and pipelines using standard bioinformatics tools for microbial and viral -omics.
- Expertise developing and operating in a UNIX/Linux environment and writing shell scripts.
- Well-versed with bioinformatic software solutions and concepts of data examination.
- Experience deploying externally facing, reproducible code and deliverables including use of Git/Github/Atlassian systems.
- Experience with high-performance compute grids and resource management (e.g. SLURM, PBS Torque)
- Must be a US Citizen and able to obtain a secret clearance.
Bethesda, MD, US
DAWSON is a Native Hawaiian Organization 8(a) small business that brings the Spirit of Aloha to our employees. As part of the DAWSON “Ohana”, you will be provided a best-in-class benefits program that strives to ensure our great people have peace of mind when it comes to health and wellness. For more information about DAWSON and our benefits programs, please visit www.dawsonohana.com .
Summary: This position is in support the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) Contract
Duties & Responsibilities:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
DAWSON is a federal government contractor and is required to comply with the federal government’s mandate that all employees of federal government contractors are vaccinated against COVID-19
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) FEDERAL CONTRACTOR
DAWSON gives preference to Internal Candidates. If no internal candidate meets our qualifications, external candidates will be given consideration.
About the companyDAWSON is a Native Hawaiian global business enterprise serving Federal government clients around the world.